Tuesday, October 9, 2007

del.icio.us

I always liked the idea of del.icio.us but never found it that useful. If I used many computers it would be a no-brainer, but I don't, and it isn't. I logged in to my old account and found some old bookmarks, long abandoned.

Cruising other people's bookmarks is semi-interesting in a world of infinite time, but who lives there? Coincidentally, Jorn Barger (of Robot Wisdom (and aux) fame) currently links to a del.icio.us feed ("Topnotch del.icio.us feed" (getpost)). Jorn finds wonderful stuff but this one didn't do much for me.

Tagging? User generated tags are good discovery tools in situations where more formal structures don't work or are not available. I did a research paper in 2005 when Flickr was about a year old in which I collected and analyzed metadata for approximately 150,000 images as they were loaded into the system. I've always meant to go back and revisit that data, seeing if users recategorize material as tags evolve. One of these days :)

No comments: